This term I’ve been introduced more into the A level lessons. The order of content is related to which ethical theories are applied to which situations. Utilitarianism and Kantian ethics are applied to business ethics, whilst situation ethics and natural moral law are applied to euthanasia. This term we have focused on the later. My knowledge of both is at a good standard, my mentor commenting that the students have faith that I know the content well. During holocaust memorial week, the institution decided to coincide their anti-bullying workshops with their lessons on Nazi Germany. I remain unconvinced of this choice, comparing the relationship between Nazis and Jews to bullies and victims seems dangerously reductive. That said, I did learn about the Diana Trust, the bystander effect and repetition bias.
Teaching and Learning
I participated in two MOOCs, one on dyslexia and another on blended learning. The first I found particularly interesting. I learnt different categories in which languages are grouped, including logo-graphic and alphabetical. Commonly, dyslexic people find spatial thought easier and linear thought. This can impact how difficult they find reading the written word, particularly with alphabetical languages. Some types of dyslexia make it harder to determine differences between phonemes. This has led to the development of techniques that make this easier, such as coloured sheets to read the text through and the breaking down of words into manageable chunks.
The most challenging lessons to teach were the anti-bullying workshops. Held in the chapel, the lessons consisted of two or three RP groups mixed. The classes were 30-40 students in size. Normally these sessions were carried out with three teachers, though on one day I had to teach them by myself. I felt this day was a breakthrough moment for my practice. There were many different aspects that needed attention. The students already had some animosity towards the subject matter and the session’s compulsory nature. I found that switching the term bullying to abusive behaviour helped rekindle interest. I made this decision as I believe the noun bully carries connotations of childhood, whereas abuse carries more weight and an air of seriousness. The workshops also helped with my development of pace. Moving to the next task at the correct moment was crucial for maintaining engagement.
On academic writing, I need to pay more attention to my use of commas and my referencing. My use of comers seems to be linked to previous feedback I have received concerning my positioning of main clauses. To combat this, I will try and read out loud what I write during the proof-reading stage. This is something I like to do, as although it seems like a simple strategy, I’ve often found it very effective. As for my ability to reference, I admit I probably haven’t focused on this enough. I need to spend more time learning the referencing style before I apply it instead of adapting during the process. I’ve tried to speed through the set activities to leave myself freer for the assessment. While this has been somewhat successful, I completed them a little slower than I would have liked. Additionally, I haven’t left myself enough time to properly respond to feedback. I will need to pay close attention to the feedback and apply the criticism to the draft of my assignment.
I have also had some difficulty with embedding documents within activities. When I have uploaded the documents, it displays an option to download the document. Dr McQueen advised that I try to provide hyperlinks. I have included three below in case said doctor finds them, though in the activities I’ve tried to copy and paste the document itself. Though less aesthetically pleasing it does function, which overall is the most important aspect. If there are any others I have forgotten, and this technique works I will include them in future review points.